Saturday, August 14, 2004

MASS EMAIL #1: Posh Corps

* For those who didn't originally receive this email, know that it has been edited. Some comments were a wee bit too pointed to be posted publicly. Heh.*

*****
Hello from Bulgaria!

I just wanted to send an introductory note to say that I got here safely. The plane trip from KC to Phili was a lot of fun and I met Megan on the flight - who was headed to Peace Corps - Bulgaria too. We have had a great time together and get along famously.

In Philadelphia we (60 entering volunteers) stayed at the Holiday Inn in the historic district and had our last taste of Indian and Mexican food and Irish bars. On the whole the group seems great, though there are a few I suspect suffered a major head injury at some point.

We checked into JFK with no problem, though I would have been voted "Largest Bags". "Most Luggage" would have gone to someone else, thankfully. We flew to Paris, then to Sofia. Once in Sofia we took a shuttle bus from the plane to the airport, after which I discovered I left my passport in the plane. After insisting and being questioned by multiple people, I finally convinced someone I wasn't lying and that they needed to go look. I was eventually let into the country. Phew.

A long, stinky, non-air-conditioned bus ride later, we arrived in Strelcha at a former communist police resort with a swimming pool, cafe, tennis courts, etc that over looked the mountains. We stayed there for four days or so and went to lectures and got shots and ate a LOT of food.

Finally, yesterday, we were taken to our host families - where we will stay for 3 months. I am placed with a young couple (28) with a 6-year old girl. The husband's parents live below and the whole neighborhood has come to see/meet me. Everyone is exceptionally warm and kind, using as much Hollywood and JLo English as they can. Only 4-5 volunteers are in each town and my town is Valingrad - the most popular spa/resort town in Bulgaria. Natural hot springs, pools, 5-star hotels, etc. It is in the mountains and my room, on the top floor, has a balcony that overlooks everything.

So, as you can see life in Bulgaria is pretty damn good! In fact, we are all quickly falling in love with it.

I will write more later, I have to get back to the house to help my family can fruits and vegetables for the winter.

Take care! I miss you all!
Jen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home